Sunday, July 28, 2013

Guardian Angel

I have several people in my life that have passed on that I now consider to be "guardian angels" of sorts. This week, as well as many other people in my community, gained another guardian angel that none of us expected to get. On Tuesday, Jansen Badinger drowned while swimming in the Spokane river. Jansen had just graduated from CV with me in June, and he really was the last person that anyone would have expected to loose that soon.

Jansen was one of the most amazing guys that I ever knew. He was everyone's best friend, and he truly understood the worth of each individual person. I am so grateful that I knew him and that I had the wonderful chance to be blessed by his life just like so many around me. He was not only known for his love, but also the way that he showed his love and support. Jansen has now been nicknamed "Mr. Spirit" and was voted "Bear for Life" in the Senior Bests in the yearbook. He showed his love and support by attending every sporting event (for every sport) in full face paint and other spirit wear. He was a super-fan that everyone could recognize at any game.


Jansen also did the incredible thing and greeted every student as they would come through the doors of the school every morning. He would always say "good morning Victoria!" in his bright and enthusiastic voice along with his beaming smile every morning as I walked through those doors. I know he always brightened my day, and I also know that I wasn't the only one that was positively affected by his cheerful attitude each morning.


There has been a lot of talk of replacing the cement outside this door with new cement with Jansen's name and footprints where he stood as a memorial to him. What he did at these doors will never be forgotten. I remember getting to school 45 minutes early one day to work on things for the yearbook and Jansen was already standing at the door to greet people. I asked him if he always came that early and he told me that he got to school at seven every morning just to be there to greet the students. That's the kind of guy Jansen was. THAT is what a true CV Bear is. That is why we believe. From the cheer that states "I believe that we will win", we believe. We believe that we can carry on the legacy of a smile, that we can change a person's day simply by saying "hi", and that random acts of kindness don't go unnoticed. Because I saw what a difference one person can make, it has motivated me to try a little harder to do a little better. To carry on the legacy of an amazing person, and to live my life to make others proud of me, and more importantly themselves. Those things are what change other's lives.



One person touched so many lives. This really shows the difference that one person can make. One smile, one "hello" or "good morning". They make a difference, I promise. Miss you Jansen! You will forever be in our hearts!


We all learned what a difference you made, and we want the whole world to remember you for the amazing person you are. We will, for you Jansen, "Keep Calm and Smile On" as we try to live your legacy of unconditional kindness for all who you saw around you.



No comments:

Post a Comment