Saturday, January 7, 2017

New Year, New Eyes

So you know how everyone says "New Year, New me" and stuff like that? Well, I like it for sure. I am a fan of New Year's resolutions, but I have decided on several interesting ones for this year (and yes, I know I am posting this about a week late).

Of course, I will say like always that one goal is to be a better blogger. I think deciding why will finally help me to actually stick to it. I blog to show the world how I see it. To offer my perspective on the beautiful blessing that we call life. I guess that is part of the reason I study art. I am in the middle of my schooling for graphic design, and I am learning more and more every day the importance of communicating my idea to positively influence the world around me. Don't get me wrong, life isn't all butterflies and daisies, but I am looking at the world through new eyes this year. That is the basis of my resolutions. I will look at myself through new eyes, even if it means changing things that I don't like while appreciating the things that I do. It's finding beauty in others, whether the beauty is something that I share or better yet, that person's idiosyncrasy. It is finding joy and meaning in the small things, and trying to see the big picture when necessary.

Better yet, it isn't just about observing. It is about doing something because of the observations. So many people in my generation want to just sit back and like the world that passes in front of them. Sadly, in doing so, they miss the chance to be a part of it: to really change the world. That doesn't mean that each of us needs to be famous, but we can all make a difference, even if we don't see the results and each part of the chain reaction we are a part of. Toward the end of last year, I watched the movie "Pay it Forward." For those of you who haven't seen it, do. It will help you to see how one ordinary person can do extraordinary things.

That's what I want to do, but for me, I kind of do it differently. I can positively influence an art world that is floundering in negative stimulus. I can smile at someone walking down the street. I won't formally request anything in exchange, but I will always hope that my actions influence others to want to do good. I have spent a lot of time thinking about ways I can get this positivity around. I want it to spread like a virus, infecting everything in its path. Let's be honest, a lot of people weren't happy with the way 2016 ended (I'm actually impartial there), so why not turn the tables. Let's stop blaming everyone else for our unhappiness, and do something to fix it. Let's do something to make others believe in this world again. It's not all bad out there, and it's up to us to find the good and put it on display like the Mona Lisa at the Louvre.

So do what you do, and love it. Love yourself while you are at it, even the parts that you think aren't worthy of loving. Be happy while you change your life, even if the progress seems slow. Keep up your positive attitude even if it seems like your actions don't change the world around you. Patience and joy are the keys to it all. Happy New Year! Let's make it the best one yet.


PS. Super thanks to Mikayla, my roommate last semester for this fun pic. She is kind of the best.

PPS. Probably going to redesign my blog again soon--I can't seem to find something that I'm in love with yet. Hopefully soon, but be on the lookout.

No comments:

Post a Comment