Sunday, June 3, 2012

The End is Near! (of School that Is)

So I kind of feel that my life is ridiculously busy since the school year is coming to a close. With finals in two weeks, I am kind of freaking out, since this means that I have to look back on an entire semester of chemistry and basically re-learn all of the information that I learned. I have a review packet that we have been "working on in class", but needless to say, it might not be quite finished yet.

This also means that I have to finish my two rings in jewelry. That will be an absolutely ridiculous endeavor, but if I can finish these two rings then I will have at least some kind of accomplished feeling because they both had some crazy thing involved with making them. I have all of the soldering procedures done on the copper ring with the custom bezel, which is super exciting because I could finish that ring in one day with no problem at all. The other extremely complicated ring might take me a little longer since I have to do a lot more work with the prongs before it can be completed. That ring however, has solder on the ring right now with the first stage of sweat soldering done. This means that the solder is melted to the band, but the other piece of metal hasn't been put on yet. The other metal (the wire work) is actually sitting in the band where it will go right now, and I will remelt the solder to complete the sweat soldering process tomorrow in class. After this is done, all of the soldering processes will be done for that ring. Once this is done, I will have to carefully bend the prongs to the correct distances from each other and notch them so that the stone will fit. I also will have to do some basic filing and sanding to clean up the ring a little bit, but no more huge things need to be done besides the prongs. Once the two rings are all cleaned up, I will hand buff them with the flexible shaft and set the stones. Then I will have two rings that I can say I put a whole lot of effort into making two beautiful pieces of artwork. Pictures will be posted of the final products, don't worry too much about that!

So, I know that after my rant above, you are all probably really tired of hearing about jewelry. But guess what, I'm not done with that subject yet. I just have a different viewpoint this time: my new job. Yes, I got the job working at Tracy Jewelers which I started yesterday. I worked from nine thirty in the morning until about five ten in the evening. It was loads of fun, and everyone there is great. I am basically the "jack of all trades" in there, so I do any odd job that they need me for. I will get to do a little bit of jewelry work back in the lab, answer phones and greet people as they come into the store, clean jewelry, file "jobs", and any other random jobs that they have for me to do. I really do enjoy it so far though, and it should be a great situation to be in for a while.

Along with the new job, I now have six piano students and might have up to five more potential students! I know for sure that I should have one more girl starting because she won the "month of piano lessons" from the silent auction that was part of the fundraiser for camp this year. Her little sister asked their mom if the lessons were for her, and she said no, but that she might be able to work something out. So there are two potential students, plus a friend of mine just had her teacher dropped her. She told me that she would like to have me teach her, but I doubt that it will ever happen. And on top of it all, a few of my mom's co-workers were interested in having me teach their kids lessons. I guess I will have to wait and find out though, but it looks like I might have one busy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment