Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Harry Potter Holiday Season

So before I get started on my normal blogging stuff for this post, I have to say something about facebook. Remember how I posted stuff about them doing cool things with the status update bar on Thanksgiving? Well, when I was on facebook today, they did another one of those things, and I don't know why. In fact, it changed every time I refreshed the page. They have a whole bunch of things they say now to switch it all up.






They even used my name in the thing. It's a little weird, but hey, I like variety!

Okay, so since I last posted, I have been "slightly" busy getting ready for Christmas. It started last Monday night when my family went to a Harry Potter themed Christmas party hosted by some of our friends. They totally out-do themselves every year, and it always seems to get better. For example, last year they threw a Whoville party that was  a lot of fun. Here are some pictures of last year's event:



This year, the decorations were way over the top, and it was so much fun to go to! They incorporated the theme into every aspect of the party. They decorated their barn to look like the great hall. It looked AMAZING!


In each of the corners in the barn, they had a "classroom" set up. In the two back corners, they had Defense Against the Dark Arts and Divination.


The last corner they had a classroom set up in was the Potions classroom. This was where one could get hot chocolate or apple cider. They also had several things that could be added that had silly names of things that might be put into a potion.



The Elixir of Life was the hot chocolate and the Wolfsbane Potion was the apple cider. In my personal opinion, the best combo was the hot chocolate with hazelnut syrup. You just had to be careful that you didn't eat too much chocolate from Honeydukes while you were drinking that rich hot chocolate.








I never thought that I would ever get to have butterbeer! They made it our of creme soda and some butterscotch flavored ice cream syrup. It was fairly good. I'm sure it's nothing like "real" butterbeer, but it was interesting.


Just like last year, everyone was invited to come dressed up with the theme. I dressed up in my costume from last year's Tolo. The theme for that dance was sports, so Derek (my date) and I dressed up a Quidditch players. Naturally, this was my go-to costume for the party. I made myself a wand for the party though which wasn't initially part of the costume.


They had a sorting hat there that "sorted" people into their house. It was pretty cool since it looked like the hat and it talked! I got sorted into Ravenclaw. It was interesting since I was wearing Gryffindor colored clothes. Here is a picture of one of my piano students being sorted:


She, along with everyone else, had a lot of fun as they got to participate in the classic Harry Potter event. They also had a Room of Requirement (the restroom), a quidditch set-up and a bunch of owls.





Since the party, Christmas break has started. It was kind of weird though the way that it was scheduled. We have a two week break each year, but this year our break started on a Wednesday and will resume again the Tuesday after New Years. So the timing is a little weird, but I am so glad to be on break right now!
Since break started, I finished getting all of my presents ready, went caroling, and got a tasty and awesome gift from some of my piano students.

The gifts I'm giving my family members:


One of the houses we always see when we go caroling: 



The yummy treat from my piano students:


This year has been full of so much excitement, and while I'm glad that it's over, I will always remember all of the crazy things that happened this past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment