Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Letters and a Stressful Life

In seminary each year around thanksgiving, we have a tradition of writing Thanksgiving letters. This is where you fill out a form that has people and their phone numbers that someone could call to essentially ask what a wonderful person you are. The papers are secretly redistributed among the class members, and each person writes a letter to the person whose paper they got about how wonderful that person is. That is the best that I can do of explaining Thanksgiving letters. They are supposed to be about one page long, but my class is on the smaller side, so we were told that they could be a little longer if we wanted them to be. The letter I wrote was a page, but I had to decrease the font size so that it would all fit.

Today we started reading these letters to the people that we wrote them to. Oh, that's another thing about them. After they are written, we read the letter in front of the class to the person that we wrote them to. Anyway, I haven't had a chance to read my letter yet, but I did have my letter written to me. It was written by none other than my wonderful friend Makormick. He certainly put a TON of effort into it, and ended up writing a wonderful three page long letter (yes, he did go over the limit). I had NO idea that he was writing my letter! It was the best surprise of the day.


He also made me a plate of treats to go with it.I got a lot of interesting reactions as I carried the letter and the plate of goodies around school. I am so grateful to have wonderful friends like him!


My day was definitely made, which was good, because I was very stressed out because of different school things that were going on today. For example, we are still having technical problems in yearbook. I have been trying to upload a few pictures since Thursday, and there has been a problem every time that I tried. I think we finally figured it out, which would be wonderful because I can't get anymore work done on my pages until I get those pictures.

Another class that was stressing me out was Writing for College. In that class, we are working on a project that involves reading a biography and doing a research paper on a topic that closely relates to the biography. I have a wonderful group for this, which helps relieve so much stress. We originally chose to do our project on Walt Disney, but when I went to pick up the book, it wasn't there. I figured that it wasn't really that big of a deal since I ordered the book straight from the store that night. I found out today that we need our book tomorrow to start reading. Tonight around 4:45, I got a call from Jordan (he is in my group). He told me that Emily, another one of our group members, had gone to see if our books were in, and they weren't there. We both freaked out, and met at Hastings to try to find another book tonight. We walked around that store for about forty minutes without finding anything, so we went to Barnes and Noble to try to find one there. After looking at different biographies for thirty minutes, we finally found a book that we could do. Hopefully it will work out, and our problems will be solved. It was quite the adventure though, and I'm not sure that I will ever forget that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment